April 12, 2013

Kinako Scone

I've made like 8 batches of scones with a variety of recipes this past month. Yes, I am persistent. My passion for finding out the best scone recipe of mine will continue for some time. This time I used some kinako (soy flour), and I've been using baking soda instead of baking powder since it seems to be healthier than baking powder is. With baking soda, I use vinegar in order to make it work enough and to prevent the harshness of it from remaining in the finished scones. The smell and sourness of the vinegar don't remain at all.





Kinako Scones -- Yields 8
1 large egg
3 tablespoon soy milk
2 tablespoon shiokoji
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar

220g flour
30g kinako
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (so little)
50g butter or margarine


4 comments:

  1. Hi Babykins! I love scones too, and I thought as you are on a scone kick, you might like the recipe I put on this post...http://bentowa.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/scones-and-spring-cleaning-saturday-bento/
    It's a traditional australian one, and my favourite. Adding egg makes the scones a little more cakey, and they reheat well the next day. I'm liking the look of yours...scones are the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much bentowa! The recipe sounds closer to Irish soda bread. My daughter likes the texture of eggless scones better, so I'm going to have to try the recipe, very simple but so good I know :)

      Delete
    2. ha ha...kids are so fussy sometimes aren't they? I like just about anything...! I tried a new scone creation on the weekend, but didn't get a chance to photograph it. A double layer oat scone with plum jam baked in the middle. It had quite a bit of butter in it...MMMM!

      Delete
    3. Indeed! They could be critics.
      Ohh it sounds great with coffee! I love butter scones but just tried using oil instead today. It was not bad.

      Don't miss taking pictures next time! :)

      Delete