May 28, 2012

Bread with Shiokoji and Rice Bran

Shiokoji and rice bran bread


For the first time, I added shiokoji to bread dough. It did a way better job than I expected. Come to think of it, it's no wonder, koji bacteria itself is a sort of yeast. I guess koji can reduce the distinctive flavor of instant dry yeast and help bread dough rise. Anyway I have to try this again for sure. In the meantime, we've been on a gravlax kick lately. Gravlax is a northern European delicacy of salmon cured with salt, sugar, some herbs and spices. It's so easy to make. And above all, it's delicious!!


Homemade gravlaks


Gravlax is so good itself but you can use it just like smoked salmon. I sure prefer gravlax to smoked salmon.


Open sammy with gravlaks and cream cheese


And I liked the combo of the shiokoji ricebran bread and cream cheese and the gravlax. Now you may wonder if I won't use shiokoji for making gravlax. You are right! Of course I'm going to do so next time!

4 comments:

  1. your gravlax roses are so pretty... and i love how you are game to put shiokoji in everything! love looking at the results of your shiokoji experiments, just wish i could taste them too, haha :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for the comment Megan! Hehe I've been playing around with shiokoji a lot lately. It's interesting and fun to game! I guess shiokoji will spread into the US and others too in the future. :)

      Delete
  2. The roses are great! And the bread looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and welcome Midori! They were yummy for sure :)

      Delete